The purpose of this Convention is to develop mutual understanding among the peoples of Europe and reciprocal appreciation of their cultural diversity, to safeguard European culture, to promote national contributions to Europe's common cultural heritage respecting the same fundamental values and to encourage in particular the study of the languages, history and civilisation of the Parties to the Convention. The Convention contributes to concerted action by encouraging cultural activities of European interest.
Non-member States of the Council of Europe which are Parties to the European Cultural Convention may also, without special invitation of the Committee of Ministers, become Parties to certain European treaties (1).
- European Convention on the Protection of the Archaeological Heritage (ETS No. 66);
- European Agreement on continued Payment of Scholarships to students studying abroad (ETS No. 69);
- European Convention on Spectator Violence and Misbehaviour at Sports Events and in particular at Football Matches (ETS No. 120);
- European Convention on Transfrontier Television (ETS No. 132);
- Anti-Doping Convention (ETS No. 135);
- European Convention on the General Equivalence of Periods of University Study(ETS No. 138);
- European Convention on the Protection of the Archaeological Heritage (Revised) (ETS No. 143);
- European Convention on Cinematographic Co-Production (ETS No. 147);
- European Convention relating to questions on Copyright Law and Neighbouring Rights in the Framework of Transfrontier Broadcasting by Satellite (ETS No. 153);
- European Convention on the Promotion of a Transnational Long-Term Voluntary Service for Young People (ETS No. 175);
- European Convention on the Legal Protection of Services based on, or consisting of, Conditional Access (ETS No. 178);
- European Convention for the protection of the Audiovisual Heritage (ETS No. 183);
- Protocol to the European Convention on the protection of the Audiovisual Heritage, on the protection of Television Productions (ETS No. 184),
- Additional Protocol to the Anti-Doping Convention (ETS No. 188).