COUNCIL OF EUROPE
COMMITTEE OF MINISTERS
SETTING UP A CO-OPERATION GROUP TO COMBAT DRUG ABUSE
AND ILLICIT TRAFFICKING IN DRUGS (POMPIDOU GROUP)
(adopted by the Committee of Ministers on 27 March 1980
at the 317th meeting of the Ministers' Deputies
The Representatives of Belgium, Denmark, France, the Federal Republic of Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Sweden, Turkey and the United Kingdom, sitting on the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe,
Having regard to the decision taken in Stockholm on 13 November 1979 by the 5th Ministerial Conference of the Pompidou Group ;
Having regard to Committee of Ministers Resolution (51) 62 concerning partial agreements;
Having regard to the decision taken by the Committee of Ministers at Deputy level at their 317th meeting, on continuing the work of the Pompidou Group within the Council of Europe on the basis of a partial agreement ;
Recognising the need to enable the Pompidou Group to carry on its activities as efficiently as possible,
Resolve to set up a co-operation group to combat drug abuse and illicit trafficking in drugs (Pompidou Group).
I. The aim of the Pompidou Group shall be to make a multidisciplinary study of the problems of drug abuse and illicit trafficking in drugs.
II. The working methods employed hitherto by the Group shall be maintained under this Partial Agreement.
These methods are as follows:
1. Meetings, in private at ministerial level, are held, as a general rule every two years, but circumstances and urgency may justify special meetings of the Group in addition to these two-yearly meetings ;
2. Each state is represented at meetings either by the minister(s) concerned with the subject being dealt with, or by the minister instructed by his government to co-ordinate the action of ministries concerned with drug problems. A permanent correspondent appointed for each state is responsible for preparing the Group's ministerial meetings in personal liaison with the minister(s) attending them ; he may be assisted by experts
3. The permanent correspondents and their experts meet twice during the interval between ministerial meetings to follow the application of the guidelines adopted and to prepare the ministers' future meetings in accordance with a given mandate. Their duties in this connection include :
- arranging the agenda and subjects of the coming ministerial meeting ;
- collecting material for the preparation of basic documents ;
- making arrangements for the practical preparation of ministerial meetings,
- exchanging information on the latest developments in the participating countries concerning the subjects dealt with by the ministers at previous meetings ;
4. The Group decides on the publication of documents drawn up by the permanent correspondents as well as resolutions adopted by it ;
5. The languages used at meetings are Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Swedish and Turkish ;
6. The meeting papers are reproduced in English and French.
III. States not members of the Council of Europe may join the Group with the unanimous agreement of the member states of the group.
IV. The Secretariat of the Council of Europe shall provide the Group with the following secretarial services :
1. Preparation and distribution of papers for the Group's meetings at both ministerial and permanent correspondent level
2. Convening of meetings
3. Practical organisation of the Group's ministerial meetings, to be held every two years at the Council of Europe's Strasbourg headquarters and in one of the participating states alternately ;
4. Practical organisation of the Group's meetings at permanent correspondent level, to be held at the Council of Europe's Strasbourg headquarters at the rate of two in each interval between ministerial meetings ;
5. Translation of the Group's papers into English or French;
6. Provision of the staff required by the Group for its functioning;
7. Preparation and circulation of the conclusions of the Group's meetings.
V. The Group's operational expenditure under the Partial Agreement shall be apportioned as follows :
1. The travel and subsistence expenses of persons attending the Group's meetings (ministers, permanent correspondents and experts) shall be paid by the member state concerned ;
2. Expenditure relating to the practical organisation of ministerial meetings held elsewhere than at the Council of Europe shall be borne by the host country ;
3. Common Secretariat expenditure (papers, staff, translation, interpretation and all other operational expenditure) shall be covered by a Partial Agreement budget funded by the Group's member states and governed by the same financial. rules as foreseen for the other budgets of the Council of Europe.